Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Something About Gray

“You’re trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back [yet] that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it’s sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you’re wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room.”- The Devil Wears Prada

All in the name of making his company successful, Mark Zuckerberg wears the same nondescript gray shirt everyday. According to the CEO of Facebook, breakfast along with clothing are some of those “silly or frivolous decisions” he doesn’t want to spend too long making. He even pointed out further that other influential people like Apple founder Steve Jobs or President Barack Obama have the very same theory with regards to choosing their outfits.

Frivolous decision. Hmmm. For someone like me who devotes an obscene amount of time planning outfits, I think this is a bit offensive. But in all fairness, I do have some areas in my life where I don’t want to spend too much time thinking on too. Take for example, my whole packed lunch for the week – a carefully selected set of veggies if you must know. Which brings me to the point, it’s not just about "thoughtlessly" picking out a color. That even though it is uniform, it is somehow carefully thought of. Like for brand building purpose or something. Heck, he could've just said it's his favorite color and we all stop wondering. In that note, I kinda like how this article by the Gurdian questioned the CEO’s statement about it here.

Anyway, gray is such a color that is both understated and unabashed. I have pointed out in the past how I have appreciated it that eventually led me to purchasing a plain shirt. Fact: you will never ever catch me in a plain shirt (except for some moments in the gym). Also in the same post, you will see this very same shirt below styled in layers. But to prove how classy this color can be on its own and somehow taking a leaf out of Zuckerberg's book, let’s turn to celebrities for inspiration. Here I present to you two gray shirt ensembles care of the two models I look up to when it comes to styling: Miranda Kerr and Kendall Jenner. Enjoy!




Top: Mango; Skirt: Warehouse; Shoes: Zalora PH


Top: Mango; Skirt: Topshop; Shoes: Miss Selfridge

No comments:

Post a Comment