Friday, September 11, 2015

Harem

The very first thing that I googled while working on this post is the difference of harem and jogging pants. Perhaps I made a limited research but there wasn’t anything I saw on the net. One article mentioned that harem trousers are the dressier version of jogging pants and I found myself agreeing to this.

Well, my research revealed that these clothing are believed to have originated in Persia around 16th century and were popularized by exotic belly dancers. It became a craze as well around the 1980s because of MC Hammer. STOP! Hammertime, haha! Harem and Hammer, what a coincidence. ;-)

Perhaps it’s the athleisure trend or its earlier associations with dancing but I am finding myself rediscovering ways to wear these pants that I have since forever. I swear, I wore them less in the past almost making it to the regretted purchase list. But what’s not to love about them? They’re billowy and I particularly love how it tapers down to a narrow, tight fitting ankle cuff making them perfect for different shoe types.

Most of the style websites I found insist that the top should be structured because of the relaxed fit of the bottoms but the gallery below proves otherwise. First is another billowy top and the second one is a shirt from the men’s section. Black and white will always be my favorite go-to combo for business looks but it wouldn’t hurt to inject some color too.  J



Top: F&H (same here); Trousers/Clutch: Mango; Shoes: H&M



Top: Zara (same here); Trousers: Mango; Shoes: H&M
Necklace/ Bag: Unbranded

1 comment: